|Church Stained Glass Windows
recorded by Robert Eberhard - updated January 2020
|Stained Glass Windows at
St. John the Evangelist|
West Meon, Hampshire
|Printer friendly version|
|EW||1925||3||A.K. Nicholson||Annunciation; Crucifixion; Noli me Tangere||Rev D.V Dayley||Document 67M81/FV 3 (Hants Record Office)|
|Above EW||1846||Trefoil||Lamb, Dove||Hampdhire Chronicle 9.5.1846|
|SC1||1846||2||Ward||Plain glass, coat of arms in tracery||Hampshire Chronicle 9.5.1846|
|SChS||1846||2||Ward||Plain glass, coat of arms in tracery (behind organ, seen from outside)||Hampshire Chronicle 9.5.1846|
|SA1||1896||2||Clayton & Bell||Good Shepherd; Sower||John & Matthew Arnold||Hampshire Chronicle 28 Mar. 1896|
|SA2||1846||2||Ward||Plain glass, coat of arms in tracery||Hampshire Chronicle 9.5.1846|
|SA3||1846||2||Ward||Moses; Elias (later inscription: Errol Manners Church Warden 1962-1990)||Hampshire Chronicle 9.5.1846|
|SA4||1846||2||Ward||Plain glass, coat of arms in tracery||Hampshire Chronicle 9.5.1846|
|SAW||1846||3||Ward||Coats of arms||Hampshire Chronicle 9.5.1846|
|WW||1846||3||Ward||Coats of arms||Hampshire Chronicle 9.5.1846|
|NC1-2||1846||2 each||Ward||Quarries, coat of arms in tracery||Hampshire Chronicle 9.5.1846|
|NAE||1955||Centre of 3||Hugh Easton with Hendra & Harper signed||Madonna & child||Mary McHardy +1953|
|NA1-2||1846||2 each||Ward||Quarries, coat of arms in tracery||Hampshire Chronicle 9.5.1846|
|NA3||1846||2||Ward||Tracery only:Coat of Arms||Hampshire Chronicle 9.5.1846|
|NA4||1846||4 qfoils||Ward||Coat of Arms with faded inscriptions||Hampshire Chronicle 9.5.1846|
|NA5||1846||2||Ward||Quarries, coat of arms in tracery||Hampshire Chronicle 9.5.1846|
|NAW||1846||3||Ward||Coats of arms||Hampshire Chronicle 9.5.1846|
Location of windows
The coding system is based on that used in Nineteenth Century Norfolk Stained Glass by Birkin Haward.
All windows are numbered consecutively from east to west in any north or south facing wall and
from the centre outwards in any east or west facing wall. Windows of 2 and 3 lancet lights
are shown as 2 and 3 light.
In the column headed date, the date (without a + sign) is the date the window was made. In that column and in the column headed Memorial a date prefixed by a + sign is the date of death commemorated in the window.
Firms / Designers
The booklet Stained Glass Marks & Monographs published by NADFAS, 8 Guilford Street, London, WC1N 1DA provides details of makers’ signatures and marks and short biographical information on many designers and firms.
A reasonably comprehensive listing of subjects is provided, except in cases where there are many small scenes or many saints, particularly if the windows are high up. For reasons of space, the title ‘Saint’ has often been omitted, most commonly in 4 evangelist windows.
Persons and events commemorated
These are mainly recorded only as a cross-reference to documentation.