|Church Stained Glass Windows
recorded by Robert Eberhard - updated January 2020
|Stained Glass Windows at
St James the Less|
|Printer friendly version|
|Ap||1855||3||Hardman||Bearing cross;Crucifixion;Entombment||Buildings of England|
|SC||1891||2||Cox, Sons & Buckley Co||King Seebert;Bishop Mellitus||Mary King +1890||Church Review 7.5.1891|
|SN2||2||Madonna & child;St Joseph||Jonathan Wood +1851|
|SN3||2||Christ walks on water|
|WW||1||Good Shepherd||Rev Edward Davison|
|NN2||1891||2||Cox, Sons & Buckley Co signed||St Cedd;St Ethelburga||Jane King +1884||Church Review 7.5.1891|
|NN3||1||Christ cleanses temple|
Location of windows
The coding system is based on that used in Nineteenth Century Norfolk Stained Glass by Birkin Haward.
All windows are numbered consecutively from east to west in any north or south facing wall and
from the centre outwards in any east or west facing wall. Windows of 2 and 3 lancet lights
are shown as 2 and 3 light.
In the column headed date, the date (without a + sign) is the date the window was made. In that column and in the column headed Memorial a date prefixed by a + sign is the date of death commemorated in the window.
Firms / Designers
The booklet Stained Glass Marks & Monographs published by NADFAS, 8 Guilford Street, London, WC1N 1DA provides details of makers’ signatures and marks and short biographical information on many designers and firms.
A reasonably comprehensive listing of subjects is provided, except in cases where there are many small scenes or many saints, particularly if the windows are high up. For reasons of space, the title ‘Saint’ has often been omitted, most commonly in 4 evangelist windows.
Persons and events commemorated
These are mainly recorded only as a cross-reference to documentation.